New Year's always makes me a little emotional, thinking back on the year and wondering what the new year will bring. Will it be better or worse? Last night at dinner Steve asked if I was happy or sad to see 2012 go and it was a hard question for me to answer. The beginning of our year started out rough with a colic-y, reflux-y, non-sleeping baby and moving to a new state 10+ hours away from my family and friends- all hard things to adjust to. But the end of 2012 has been so great. Emily has this amazing personality and is learning so much right in front of our eyes and I finally feel like I'm getting into a groove as a stay at home mom. So, to answer Steve's question, half of me is wishing we could stay here at the end of 2012 forever while the other half is excited to meet our son and see what 2013 will bring (besides sleep deprivation).
I saw this yearly recap on Becoming Jolie and I thought it would be fun to do this year.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Became a stay at home mom. Lived in a new state. Got pregnant and stayed pregnant without IVF. Saw my baby girl turn one and witnessed all the other wonderful things that came in her first year. 2012 was a crazy, busy year that taught me a lot about myself as a person, wife and mother.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make New Year's resolutions, maybe I should start?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, a few of my blog friends- so happy for them!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
One of my best friend's brother passed away. I also had a few acquaintances that passed away but thankfully no one that I was 'close' to.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
Patience, I feel like I need to work on that all the time.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The biggest dates for me are all about Emily. All of her "firsts" will be etched in my memory, such fantastic things to witness. Rolling and eating cereal, getting her first tooth, getting her helmet, my first Mother's Day, first word (mama!), crawling, walking, and turning one!
I will also remember the day we found out we were pregnant and the day I found out we were having a boy and got to surprise Steve.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being a stay at home mom. I never had a clue how hard it would be and I am proud that I made it through this year and did a pretty damn good job (if I do say so myself).
9. What was your biggest failure?
There were days I felt like I couldn't handle staying home, got frustrated (turned on Mickey Mouse a few too many times to get a break) and felt like a failure as a mom.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Maybe a couple of colds, but I have been pretty healthy this year (knock on wood!)
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone, that sounds so lame, but I use it for everything and I love it.
12. Where did most of your money go?
bills, groceries, bills, stuff for Emily, bills
13. What did you get really excited about?
Getting and staying pregnant, so excited.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Home by Phillip Phillips. It reminds me of Steve and how we are working hard to make this new place our home (sappy, I know).
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? it's been an up and down year but right now at this moment I would say happier.
– thinner or fatter? holy. fatter for sure, when this baby comes out I need to get on a serious diet.
– richer or poorer? poorer, one income is hard stuff.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I'm not sure, I feel like I did so much this year. Maybe putting myself out there more to meet new people.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I just realized I haven't posted about Christmas yet! I spent Christmas with Steve, Emily and my in-laws. It was a wonderful, low stress day with lots of memories. Perfect.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Let's see.... The Kitchen House, Belong to Me and Divergent were the top three.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Mumford & Sons, Lumineers, Of Monsters & Men, Adele
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I'm not even sure I saw a film this year.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We went to a hibachi restaurant with some friends, I turned 33.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I am pretty satisfied with this year. But, if I could have anything I wanted, it would be for my family and Steve's family to all live in the same place.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Does it fit? Is it clean? Put it on and go.
26. What kept you sane?
Steve, Emily, my blog friends, and family.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
I saw this quote at the exact time I needed it and it changed quite a few things in my life. "Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got." Robert Brault
I also learned how to be a mom- huge.
There you have it. Happy New Year's to you all, here's hoping we all get what we need in 2013.